Week 29 -- "Get Some Sleep!" -- Grade 9
Suite360 9th grade Lesson Name: Get Some Sleep!
Brief Summary: This lesson explores the current status of teenerages and their sleep. As many would guess, they do not get enough of it. We will unpack the physical and mental issues connected with a lack of sleep in teenagers. We will also introduce and reinforce some tips on how to get a better night's sleep.
- Sleep Hygiene - Good sleep habits
- Stress - a force of bodily or mental tension resulting from factors that tend to alter an existing equilibrium
- Immune System - the bodily system that protects the body from foreign substances, cells, and tissues by producing the immune response and that includes especially the thymus, spleen, lymph nodes, special deposits of lymphoid tissue (as in the gastrointestinal tract and bone marrow), macrophages, lymphocytes including the B cells and T cells, and antibodies
- Impair - to diminish in function, ability, or quality
- Sleep deprivation - not obtaining adequate total sleep time
- Sleep is extremely important in teens
- Sleep is connected to a healthy lifestyle
- Sleep deprivation can be connected to mental health issues
Continue the Conversation:
- Discuss sleep habits and sleep hygiene with your child. Evaluate your own habits. What are you modeling for your child?
- Set and maintain a bedtime for your child that incorporates routines for unwinding, including avoiding screen time which can disrupt sleep patterns.
Additional activities/resources/suggested reading: