Week 28 -- "The importance of healthy habits" -- Grade 9
Suite360 Student Lesson Name: The importance of healthy habits.
Brief Summary: Let’s face it: life is hectic. You’re busy running your child to practices, getting all the household chores done, shopping and paying the bills while having a litany of other responsibilities as a parent. At the end of a long day, hitting the drive-through and lounging around on the sofa watching a movie sounds great. While it is fine once in awhile, when it becomes a daily habit, it’s time for you to reflect on what lessons you want your child to absorb. As parents, you are their first teachers, and it’s important to help your child develop healthy habits toward eating and exercise. The lesson is designed to help teach the importance of good healthy habits as well as giving ideas how to implement these habits.
Shared vocabulary: None
- Find a fun activity such as hiking and get the entire family involved.
- Choose an activity that is physically and developmentally appropriate to your child.
- Turn off the TV.
- Provide exercise equipment for your child such as free weights and jump ropes.
- Make time for the family to exercise together.
- Learn a new sport with your child.
- Be a role model and let your child see you exercising.
- Make sure that proper nutrition is a part of a healthy habit routine.
Continue the Conversation:
- How can we all manage our time better so that we can enjoy more time together as a family?
- What are activities that you like to do that we all can do together as a family?
- Is there an event that you have always wanted to attend? If so, what and how can we make that happen?
- What things are close to the house that we can walk or bike to?
- What activities or places in the local community can we enjoy that are free or have minimal costs?
Additional resources/suggested reading: