Week 25 -- "Giving Back" -- Grade 11
Brief Summary: In this lesson, students learn about socially constructive ways to give back to their community by donating their time and talents to causes and organizations they deem valuable. They learn about the benefits of contributing to their community and see examples of students like them engaging in a variety of community service options. Finally, they learn more about how to create opportunities to give back in their own communities.
- Students will identify the benefits of giving back to their community.
- Students will identify several community service projects they can do in their own communities.
- Community service – voluntary work done to help other people
- Giving back to others improves moods and health, lowers stress, and increases a person’s sense of happiness and independence.
- Powerful opportunities for service occur when students match their passions with a need in the communities in which they work and live.
Continue the Conversation:
- The connectivity between thinking-feeling-doing:
- How can we connect what we think about the content we just reviewed to how we are feeling?
- What actions can you take to apply this information in a meaningful way?
- Self, Others, World:
- How can you use the information you learned in this lesson to help yourself?
- How can you use the information you learned in this lesson to help your friends and family?
- How can you use the information you learned in this lesson to help other people you may encounter?
- What skills can you build as you volunteer?
Additional activities/resources/suggested reading: