Grade 37 -- "Life After High School – Finding My “What’s Next”" -- Grade 12
Life After High School – Finding My “What’s Next”
Brief Summary: High school seniors are at a stage in life where they have reached a “fork in the road,” and no one but them can determine which path to take. That’s hard for many parents and teachers to accept. They will get a lot of great advice they receive from parents, teachers, coaches, mentors, and friends, but this is the first time in life where they really have a chance to determine what they want. What an exciting, but also scary time! Within this lesson students learn about things to consider as they figure out “what’s next” in life. They learn more about post-high school options and the importance of planning for their future.
- Students will explore possible post-high school options and identify ones that are most appealing to them.
- Students will discuss the importance of planning for your future.
- Students will identify individuals in their lives who can help them as they determine their next steps.
- Take time to explore all of your post-high school options, including college, majors, working, and traveling.
- Talk to adults in your life who you trust to guide you, including teachers, parents, and school counselors. Learn from their experiences.
- Have a plan for what you will do after graduation. That plan may change, but having one helps to make sure you will continue to succeed and grow.
Continue the Conversation:
- The connectivity between thinking-feeling-doing:
- How can we connect what we think about the content we just reviewed to how we are feeling?
- What actions can you take to apply this information in a meaningful way?
- Self, Others, World:
- How can you use the information you learned in this lesson to help yourself?
- How can you use the information you learned in this lesson to help your friends and family?
- How can you use the information you learned in this lesson to help other people you may encounter?
- What do you need to consider as you make your post-high school plans?
Additional activities/resources/suggested reading: